Saturday, May 8, 2010

Who Wants To Learn English?

Company: Berlitz, Soesman
Aired: Banned
Channel: N/A
Appeal: Humor

Over the past week I’ve gotten the couch potato’s form of writers block. While some ads intrigued me, I wanted more! So I went in pursuit of an extraordinary commercial. I found a pair of banned ads from foreign countries. I like this first ad a lot but don’t completely understand why it was cancelled. Check it out.

">

The ad begins with an older gentleman explaining to the young man (in his native tongue) how to use the equipment around him. Then all of a sudden the distress call, “Mayday, mayday!” is announced over the radio. He employee’s English is extremely limited as he explains that he is the German coastguard. When the man over the radio shouts, “We’re sinking!” The German misinterprets these words and questions him, “What are you sinking about?” Simply hilarious! Poking fun at other nations accents is fine with me because I’m sure they let us Americans have it every chance they get.

Next is yet another ad for a company to teach you the English language. I definitely understand why this one was revoked. Please finish your drink before starting this video because you will inevitably spit it all over your computer screen.

">

4 comments:

  1. That was great. Thank you for sharing those and thank you for warning us to put our drinks down first haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hysterical, great job finding the banned commercials. The message in both of them have to do with speaking english.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I play on your fastbreak team. I think I'd be a good asset to the team and I would provide for the intensity and skill needed. Furthermore if your answer is no I'll be upset. I like this post too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This beat of the song is actually really catchy. Great international commercial. I like how you show a wide range of themes in the commercials you choose to write about.

    ReplyDelete