Thursday, May 6, 2010

Frankie The Fish

Company: McDonald’s
Aired: February 2009
Channel: N/A
Appeal: Humor

As a child I would get excited fairly easily. I remember some of my favorite times were obviously the last day of school, snow days and hearing that wonderful ice cream man’s song turning onto my block. Wait, I left one of the best out! When my mother would turn into the McDonald’s drive through. The mere sight of those golden arches could make my mouth water. Not only was I getting an exceptionally tasty meal but a toy comes with it too? That’s right, all for around $3 you could clog your child’s arteries and provide them with a sweatshop imported “toy” that cost ten cents and someone’s finger to make.

In 2009 McDonald’s started a new advertising campaign for the Filet-O-Fish sandwich, which is served at all the fast food restaurant locations internationally. This singing largemouth bass, which goes by the name “Frankie the Fish” has become an advertising sensation. The premise of the two men having virtually no reaction to a talking fish along with the catchy song amounted to one of the most recognizable ads in the past five years. The commercial proved to be amazingly successful, especially during the Lent season. In advertising it is very difficult to become a part of pop culture, but Frankie the Fish has done just that. The Filet-O-Fish song is even available to purchase as a ringtone. While working at Bed Bath & Beyond a couple of weeks ago, I came across Frankie the Fish. He is available to purchase and with the simple press of a button, sings the exact song from the commercial.



I personally enjoyed the original ad back in 2009 better than McDonald’s 2010 version. Unless the core concept is really strong, (Geico’s mascots) repeating commercials I feel can grow rather dull. Here are both the 2009 and 2010 Filet-O-Fish ads… enjoy!

">

">

3 comments:

  1. I love this commercial! It has a really catchy tune, I have to admit I find myself singing it frequently. I agree and enjoy the original one more the the most recent one. Geico mascots are timeless, I don't think this core concept is as strong as that. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this commercial. Some commercial find their way to be stuck in our head. Catchy tunes are awesome!! However, watching some old commercial does bring bak memories..

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really have an understanding of marketing and how it affects children. Greta job, you really know your stuff.

    ReplyDelete